Learn how to pair and use your Turtle Beach Headphones with Xbox One and what to do when they won’t connect.
Turtle Beach headphones are renowned for their ability to give gamers a bigger competitive edge, so getting a pair for your Xbox One can be a fun experience! But it can all go down fast if you have trouble connecting them.
Not knowing where and how to start can be frustrating – especially if you have very limited game time. Who wants to spend the rest of their rest day fixing a supposed-to-be straightforward problem?
We’ve got you covered. In this guide, we’ll show you how to connect your Turtle Beach headphones to Xbox One and how you can troubleshoot any connection issues that may crop up.
In This Article
- Which Turtle Beach Headphones Work With Xbox One?
- How to Turn Turtle Beach Headphones Into Pairing Mode
- How to Connect Turtle Beach Headphones to Xbox One
- What to Do When Turtle Beach Headphones Won’t Connect to Xbox One
Which Turtle Beach Headphones Work With Xbox One?
As long as your headset has the standard 3.5mm audio jack, it will work with the Xbox One, Series S, or Series X.
Unfortunately, that kind of universal compatibility does not apply to wireless headphones.
That’s because Xbox One does not support Bluetooth audio, which is the most common wireless communication technology used by wireless devices such as headphones.
Instead of using Bluetooth, Microsoft developed their proprietary wireless technology – Xbox Wireless, for the Xbox One, Series S, and Series X.
“Xbox Wireless” uses radio frequency (RF) technology that offers gamers two significant advantages over Bluetooth: reduced latency and better sound quality, among other things. In short, Xbox Wireless, despite lacking the universal appeal of Bluetooth, is thought to be the better choice for people seeking premium wireless gaming experiences.
Wireless headphones can transmit sound through Bluetooth, RF, or other technologies. If you’re considering buying new headphones, here’s a complete guide breaking down the pros and cons of each wireless technology.
These Xbox-friendly Turtle Beach headsets do not use Bluetooth but adopt the same “Xbox Wireless” technology to connect seamlessly with the Xbox One, Series S, and Series X. This means you can only virtually use them with Xbox consoles.
But, if you have a headset that is not compatible with the Xbox, don’t worry. With some workarounds, you can still connect and use it with your Xbox One, Series S, or Series X, with a few limitations.
Refer to this complete step-by-step guide to learn how to connect any Bluetooth headphones to your Xbox One.
How to Turn Turtle Beach Headphones Into Pairing Mode
It’s pretty straightforward to set up an Xbox-compatible Turtle Beach headset with your Xbox console.
Your Turtle Beach headphones should automatically be on pairing mode when you turn them on for the first time. Otherwise, you can manually turn on pairing mode to kickstart the process.
Enabling pairing mode can differ slightly depending on the model of your Turtle Beach headphones. But to save you some trouble, here’s an overview on how to turn your wireless Turtle Beach to pairing mode:
- For Stealth 600 Gen 2 and Stealth 700 Gen 2: Power on the headset and simply press and hold the headset’s Connect button until the power LED flashes rapidly.
The connect button is on the underside of your headphones’ left ear cup, just below the USB charging port.
- For Stealth 600 Gen 2 Max: Turn on the USB transmitter and plug it into Xbox One’s USB port. Then, press and hold the power button on the underside of the left ear cup (next to the headset’s USB charging port) to turn on the headset. This should automatically connect the headphones with the transmitter and, effectively, with Xbox.
How to Connect Turtle Beach Headphones to Xbox One
With pairing mode activated, you are now ready to start the connection process. Fortunately, Xbox-compatible Turtle Beach headsets are easy to connect as they can connect directly to the console’s built-in wireless adapter.
Here’s what you need to do (if you’re trying to connect Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 to Xbox One):
- Press the power button to turn on your Xbox One, Series S, or Series X console.
- Next, press the Enroll/Connect button on your Xbox One console till the power LED light blinks, which indicates it’s ready for pairing.
For Xbox One, the enroll or connect button is on the adjacent side of the disk drive. For Xbox One Series S and Series X, you can find the connect button on the lower right side of the front panel.(Video) How To Fix Xbox Mic Buzzing / Beeping
- Activate pairing mode on your Turtle Beach headset as per the steps laid out in the previous section.
- Both LEDs will start to flash rapidly before turning static moments later.
A static green light on your Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 will glow solid – this means your headset and console have paired successfully.
- Once your headset is paired, a notification indicating “Headset Assigned” should pop up on your screen, and you should hear in-game audio immediately.
What to Do When Turtle Beach Headphones Won’t Connect to Xbox One
Despite them being Xbox-friendly wireless headsets, it may sometimes happen that your Turtle Beach headphones won’t connect to the Xbox One, Series S, or Series X console.
Common causes include outdated firmware on either your headset or Xbox console, low battery, or even Bluetooth interference.
Don’t fret because it’s fairly easy to rectify these issues once you know the steps.
Make sure you got the right Xbox-compatible variant
One of the first things to do when your Turtle Beach headphones won’t connect with Xbox is to verify that you have the correct variant.
Each Xbox-compatible Turtle Beach headset also has PS4/PS5-compatible variants. Unfortunately, there are times when buyers go for the wrong model, whether intentionally or not.
The bad news is that the Turtle Beach headsets’ PS4/PS5 variant would not be compatible with Xbox. The only way to use these is to use the headphones’ 3.5mm jack, which ultimately renders useless its wireless functionality.
To determine whether you got the correct variant, check the packaging or contact your headset store.
Hard reset your Turtle Beach headphones
Performing a hard reset usually helps resolve technical problems such as an unresponsive headset (i.e., displaying a solid red LED) and clears any connectivity-related issues.
Here’s what you can do:
- Hold down the Connect/Bluetooth and Mode buttons on your headset for about 20 seconds or until the headset turns off automatically.
Make sure to avoid releasing the buttons too early, as this might interfere with the hard reset process.(Video) Quick install for the pulse elite headset to the ps4 no hassle
- Press the power button to turn your headset back on and restart the pairing and connecting process.
Update your Turtle Beach headphones’ firmware
Make sure your Turtle Beach headphones are running the most up-to-date firmware. An updated headset will help solve any remaining incompatibility or connection issues, allowing you to enjoy the whole audio experience.
This should not be confused with the Turtle Beach Audio Hub App. This companion app allows you to customize audio EQs easily, adjust microphone settings, and enable other features from your mobile device.
Follow these steps to update the firmware:
- Connect your Turtle Beach Xbox headphones to your PC or Mac using the USB cable.
- Launch the Turtle Beach Audio Hub Updater program on your PC or Mac.
- The program will automatically detect if your headset requires an update. If it does, you should see a prompt to begin the process.
Do not disconnect your headset during this process, as it might interrupt the update.
- Once the update is complete, restart the connection process as per the steps provided in the previous section.
Make sure your headset has enough charge
Turtle Beach wireless headsets like the Stealth 700 Gen 2 for Xbox One use rechargeable batteries that can give up to 20 hours of power on a full charge.
Ensure your headset has enough battery power to connect with your Xbox One, Series S, and Series X consoles. Without enough charge, wireless accessories like headphones either lose their pairing functionality or cannot maintain a connection with other devices.
Your headset’s LED lights will change depending on the battery levels. A “breathing” red light indicates low battery, while a “breathing” green light indicates a fully charged headset.
Here’s how you can charge the Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2:
- Connect your headset to the Xbox One, Series S, or Series X console’s USB port using the Micro-USB to USB cable that comes with the kit.(Video) Out-of-the-Box: Final Notes on the Turtle Beach Battle Buds Gaming Headset Sytem
- The headset’s LED light should turn a solid red once it is plugged in and charging.
- Leave your headset to charge for three to four hours.
- Once charging is complete, your headset’s LED will glow green.
Check if your Xbox system is up-to-date
Just like your headphones’ firmware, it’s equally important to keep your Xbox One’s system up-to-date as outdated consoles may not function properly, which could prevent external devices like headsets from connecting.
Microsoft occasionally rolls out these system updates to improve the Xbox platform, such as patching security vulnerabilities or adding other gaming features and enhancements.
An outdated Xbox One, Series S, or Series X console will not be able to take advantage of these new features. In some cases, you won’t even be able to connect to the Xbox network to play multiplayer games.
By default, your Xbox console is set to download and install updates at night when it’s not in use. However, there may be situations where it might get accidentally disconnected from the internet, thus interrupting or preventing the update.
If that’s the case, follow these steps to manually update your Xbox One, Series S, or Series X console:
- Ensure your console is connected to the internet.
- Press the Xbox button on your controller to open the home page.
- Select Profile & system > Settings > System,then select Updates & downloads.
- You should see the prompt ‘Console update available’ if there is an update. Select it to start the update process.
Reboot your console
You can also physically disconnect and reboot your Xbox console, which is a common fix for issues like freezing, technical glitches, or connectivity problems.
It’s a quick and straightforward process that is perfectly safe as it does not erase your games or saved data inside the console.
Here’s how to do it:
- Press and hold the Xbox button on the front of the console for about 10 seconds until the light turns off, and the console shuts down completely.
- Disconnect the Xbox One’s power cable and wait 20 seconds. Doing so resets the power supply.
- Reconnect the power cable to your Xbox One.
- Press the Xbox Power button on the front of the console to turn it on.
- You may now reattempt the pairing process with your Turtle Beach headset.
As a Turtle Beach headphones owner, you deserve to enjoy an immersive gaming audio experience. Unfortunately, connection issues may occasionally get in the way of your fun.
Luckily, if you ever face issues trying to connect your Turtle Beach headphones with your Xbox One console, you know how to rectify this problem.
Hopefully, you’ll now be to fully enjoy your Turtle Beach headphones and also help out your fellow gamer friends if they face a similar situation.
How did you find our solutions? Was there anything that we missed out that worked for you? We’d love to know what you think about our recommendations. Let us know in the comments below if you’ve discovered any alternative solutions!
One of the first things to do when your Turtle Beach headphones won't connect with Xbox is to verify that you have the correct variant. Each Xbox-compatible Turtle Beach headset also has PS4/PS5-compatible variants. Unfortunately, there are times when buyers go for the wrong model, whether intentionally or not.Why isn't my mic working on my Turtle Beach headset on Xbox? ›
TROUBLESHOOTING: If other players cannot hear you on Xbox LIVE, make sure your chat cable is firmly plugged in to the headset and Xbox 360 controller and that you have not muted your microphone using the controls on the cable or headset. Try using another Xbox 360 controller as well.Why wont my Xbox recognize Headphones? ›
Clean the plug on the headset cable with a clean cloth, and then reconnect the headset to the controller. Test the headset by connecting it to a different controller. If you're using a wireless controller, replace the AA batteries or recharge the rechargeable battery.How do I pair my Turtle Beach headset? ›
- From the main screen of your Android device, tap on the Apps button.
- Then look for and tap on Settings.
- Then go to Bluetooth.
Press and release the Power button on the Xbox One console to turn it on. Press and hold the Pairing button on the Headset for 3 seconds. Press and hold the Pairing button on the Xbox One until you hear a tone in the headset indicating it was paired with the console.How do I get my Xbox to recognize my headset? ›
Hold down the headset's power button and the mute button simultaneously (both buttons are located on the left earcup), and then quickly plug the USB-C cable into your console, PC, or outlet. If the hard reset is successful, the headset should power off. Turn the headset back on.Why are my turtle beaches not working? ›
Make Sure Headset Is Charged/Powered On, Updated
First, charge the headset using its included USB Charge Cable. Then, make sure to hold the Power button to power the headset on. Once the headset is powered on, update the headset's firmware if you have not yet done so.
Disconnect the Power Cable from your Xbox One, and wait 20 seconds. Reconnect the Power Cable to your Xbox One. Power On the Xbox One using the Power Button on the front of the Console. Re-pair the headset to the console, using the Connect Button on your Headset and the Enroll Button on your Xbox One Console.How do I reset my Xbox Turtle Beach headset? ›
To re-pair the headset, please do the following:
- Power on both the headset and the console. ...
- Press the Enroll button on the Xbox console until it blinks rapidly.
Hold down the headset's power button and the mute button simultaneously (both buttons are located on the left earcup), and then quickly plug the USB-C cable into your console, PC, or outlet. If the hard reset is successful, the headset should power off. Turn the headset back on and try again.
If your Bluetooth devices won't connect, it's likely because the devices are out of range, or aren't in pairing mode. If you're having persistent Bluetooth connection problems, try resetting your devices, or having your phone or tablet "forget" the connection.Why is my headset not working? ›
Dust, lint and dirt are often the culprits, so check the connection between the jack and the headphones, and clean the jack if necessary, using a cotton swab damped with some rubbing alcohol, or use a can of compressed air. Plug the headphones back in and see if they work.Why are my headphones not connecting when I plug them in? ›
It could be caused by a corrupt or outdated driver, faulty USB ports (if your headset uses USB), an error in the connection (in case of Bluetooth, for example), or an issue with the headphones themselves.How do you reset Turtle Beach Bluetooth? ›
Stealth 700 Gen 2 PS - Hard Reset Process
- **If the LED remains red, please try this process again. ...
- After the headset powers off completely, power the headset back on.
Below that lower volume dial, there is a Mode button. Pressing this will allow you to cycle through the headset's four EQ Presets, which are detailed below: Signature Sound. Bass Boost. Bass + Treble Boost.Do any headsets work with Xbox one? ›
Wired headphones, on the other hand, will have no problem connecting to Xbox since they don't rely on Bluetooth. If they have a 3.5 mm jack, you can plug them into your controller and enjoy your audio with no additional steps.Why is my Turtle Beach headset mic not working? ›
The common reasons why the Turtle Beach Head might stop working out of the blue are internal conflict, wires, AC adapter, microphone issue, or outdated driver. Update the Headset if it's available in the Auto Hub. A hard reset is usually a 10 out of 10 option to fix the issue.Does Xbox one have Bluetooth? ›
Using Bluetooth with the Xbox Wireless Headset
The Xbox Wireless Headset can be paired with Windows, Android, and iOS devices via a Bluetooth connection. Note You can connect your headset to your Xbox console and then via Bluetooth to another device to listen to both at the same time.
Turtle Beach USB Headset
- Disconnect the Headset, restart your PC, then plug it back in. - Try plugging the headset's USB plug into another Windows PC/laptop and see if the headset is recognized there. If it is recognized on another computer, there may be an issue with your primary computer.
To hard-reset your Stealth 700 Gen 2 Xbox headset, please do the following: Hold down the Bluetooth and Mode buttons for 20 seconds.
The LED will double-blink blue as it searches for the transmitter. 3. Within 10 seconds, the LEDs on the transmitter and headset will turn solid, indicating a successful pairing.How do I reset my Turtle Beach wired headset? ›
To power off and hard reset the headset, press and hold its MUTE button for 15 seconds. You may hear a sound as the headset turns off completely and the remaining power in its circuits discharges. For all headsets: Once you're done, connect the transmitter's USB power cable, then power on the headset.Where is the pairing button on the Xbox One? ›
On Xbox One X and Xbox One S, the Pair button is on the front right, below the power button. On the original Xbox One, the Pair button is a circular button on the side, around the corner from the disc tray.How do you hard reset a headset? ›
Unplug the headphones from their charging port. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds. Wait for the LED light to blink to indicate that you have successfully reset your headphones.Can you factory reset a headset? ›
To perform a factory reset using the headset: Turn off your headset. Hold the power and volume (-) button on your headset down simultaneously until the boot screen loads on your headset. Use the volume buttons on your headset to highlight Factory Reset and press the power button.How do I restart my headset? ›
- Delete the headset from your cell phone's list of paired devices.
- Once deleted, power your phone completely off, then power it back on. This resets the Bluetooth stack in the Bluetooth software on the phone.
- Re-pair the headset with your phone.
- Right-click the sound icon in the taskbar, and select “Open Sound Settings”. It will open a new window. Going to Sound Settings.
- Under “Output”, you'll see a dropdown with the heading “Choose your output device”. Sound Output Settings.
- Choose the connected headset. Setting the headset as Output Device.
For Android phones, go to Settings > System > Advanced> Reset Options > Reset Wi-fi, mobile & Bluetooth. For iOS and iPadOS device, you'll have to unpair all of your devices (go to Setting > Bluetooth, select the info icon and choose Forget This Device for each device) then restart your phone or tablet.How do I get my headphones to connect? ›
- First Open Settings. ...
- Next, tap Connections.
- Then tap Bluetooth. ...
- Then tap Scan at the top-right corner of your screen.
- Next, press and hold the power button on your headphones. ...
- Finally, find your headphones and tap them.
To test your microphone, speak into the mic. If the volume meter shows green bars, then it is properly picking up sound. Use the drop-down menu to select a different microphone. If you do not see the microphone that you are trying to use, try unplugging and plugging it back in.
Try the following solutions: If your headset has a Mute button, make sure it isn't active. Make sure that your microphone or headset is connected correctly to your computer. Make sure that your microphone or headset is the system default recording device.How do I connect my headset to my Xbox One settings? ›
- Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
- Select the Audio & music icon at the bottom of the guide.
- You can adjust headset settings like volume, chat mixer, and mic monitoring on the Audio & music screen.
- Press and hold the Power button on the headset until the LED lights up. Then, press the Power button on the console to power the console on.
- Press the Pairing button on the Console. ...
- Within a few seconds, the LEDs on both headset and console will turn solid.
The Mode button (below the Chat Volume dial) will cycle through the headset's EQ Presets. Those EQ Presets are as follows: Signature Sound, Bass Boost, Bass + Treble Boost, and Vocal Boost.Where is Bluetooth settings on Xbox one? ›
The Xbox One does not have Bluetooth. Instead, Microsoft created its own proprietary system: Xbox Wireless. Xbox Wireless is a proprietary protocol that lets you wirelessly connect peripherals like controllers to the console.Where is the pairing button on Xbox One? ›
On Xbox One X and Xbox One S, the Pair button is on the front right, below the power button. On the original Xbox One, the Pair button is a circular button on the side, around the corner from the disc tray.How do I reset my Turtle Beach wireless Xbox headset? ›
To re-pair the headset, please do the following:
- Power on both the headset and the console. ...
- Press the Enroll button on the Xbox console until it blinks rapidly.